Foster Care Resources
for June 23, 2020
Last week on our social media pages, we highlighted statistics on children in the foster care system as well as national organizations that are making great impacts on the lives of foster children and foster families.
Here are a few quick stats specific to the United States from iFoster.org:
- On any given day there are nearly 438,000 children and youth in foster care
- Nearly 110,000 are waiting to be adopted, waiting year after year for their forever home
- Close to 30,000 will age out of foster care every year; within 4 years, 70% will be on government assistance, 50% will be unemployed, and 50% will experience homelessness
Foster care and adoption is a key area of focus within our donor community. Many of our donors are foster parents and/or have adopted children. Our donors have nominated and given over $170,000 in grants to many organizations that serve the foster and adoption communities over the past 4 years.
For those of you interested in learning more about organizations that are supporting foster children and their families, we have pulled together some resources for you.
Organizations we have given grants to doing great work:
- The Miracle Foundation
- Still Creek Ranch
- Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI)
- Zoe Empowers
Other Organizations & Websites to Check Out:
- CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates)
- National Foster Youth Institute
- Together We Rise
- Covenant House
- Lost in America (2017 Documentary) (Rotimi Rainwater)
- Instant Family (2018) (Sean Anders)
- The Fosters (2013-2018 TV Show) on Netflix
Legacy Collective is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our tax identification number is 87-1730864. You can find us on Guidestar here