Meet Liz Coufal, Legacy Collective Board Member!
for June 1, 2020
Hi! I am Liz Coufal and I’m proud to serve you on the Board of Legacy Collective. I joined in 2018 and bring a diverse experience from tech startups, social activism, and environmental justice. Legacy Collective is pioneering what evolved philanthropy looks like and I have loved every second I have gotten to be a part of it. Giving to sustainable and innovative causes as a group allows us to leverage our impact and provide stronger support to the nonprofits that are doing the most good. A grant that sticks out to me is Code2College, an organization that equips young, under served students with coding skills and internships that allow them to have a great career in tech while lifting themselves and their families out of poverty. It is one small, mighty example of what this incredible giving circle is capable of!
I have been an activist since high school, beginning my journey by skipping prom senior year to go to a protest. Since then, I have worked for a human rights nonprofit in San Diego and a rain forest conservation nonprofit here in Austin. I am wildly passionate about civic engagement and throw parties to help get people connected to their democracy under GoodPolitics. Currently, I work for an AI company, Valkyrie, where my job has taken me from Formula1 races to the Pentagon. I also serve on the Board of Austin Tech Alliance, a nonprofit dedicated to creating a culture of civic engagement in Austin’s tech community (speaking of, are you registered to vote?).
When I am not working on any of the above, I am probably at one of my favorite East Austin neighborhood spots (before quarantine, of course) or sitting by the pool. I am blessed to live in Austin, Texas with my husband, Steven.
- Currently reading: The People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn
- Just read: Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion by Jia Tolentino
- Excited to read: Native, by Kaitlin Curtice
- Listening to: My old myspace profile playlist because nostalgia (lots of emo pop-punk, circa 2006)
- Getting through quarantine by: Papaya smoothies (giant ones, every morning, all hail the second breakfast) and lots of FaceTimes
- Currently watching: Michael Jordan’s Docuseries “The Last Dance”
Legacy Collective is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our tax identification number is 87-1730864. You can find us on Guidestar here